- Distribution of $219.6-million to SOCAN members in 2012. This was less than the record-breaking
$261.5-million paid out in 2011, as that included $52.8-million of special one-time radio and ringtones
arrears distribution. Excluding such one-time payments, distributions to songwriters and music
publishers in 2012 were 5.2 percent more than in 2011.
- Cable revenues increased 8.8 percent to $64.3-million in 2012, continuing the strengthening of
SOCAN’s largest revenue stream.
- Revenue from affiliated societies increased 3.8 percent to $47.3-million. Even with the negative
impact of a strong Canadian dollar, robust international performances of copyright music further
exemplified the enduring popularity of Canadian songwriters globally, and SOCAN’s continued
success at protecting the international interests of its members.
- Live music enthusiasts helped SOCAN achieve a record-setting $20.9-million in concert revenue,
a 14.2 percent increase from 2011.
- More than $5.1-million in new business emerged in 2012, with audio-visual streaming websites
comprising a significant portion of new music royalties for SOCAN members.
To view the SOCAN 2012 Financial Report please click below.
SOCAN Financial Report 2012 (File size: 926KB)
Please note that Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files. You can download a free copy of the latest version here.